Today, I will be happier than a bird with a french fry! -my niece, Kristine
Your attitude is pretty much all you have control over. And yes, you can have a great attitude. No one ever truly knows what the day will bring, because we don’t have direct control over what everyone else is thinking and doing. Seems pretty common sensical, right?
On the other hand, we all know people who seem to be controlled by the whim of the circumstances surrounding them. It’s as if the rest of the world has an agenda, and the first thing the world needs to do is to squish that person. Maybe this is even you…
You have control of your attitude, and your attitude allows you to do two things. It allows you to take control of your thoughts, and it allows you to decide what you will do, regardless of your situation or circumstance.
How DO you get a great attitude?
- Decide that you actually WANT a great attitude. Some people actually love being miserable. “That’s crazy” you say. Well, yes it is, and no it’s not. When people are in a perpetual funk, they get treated differently, nothing is ever their fault, it’s like they are always a little kid. You CAN decide to be different. As a matter of fact, either way, you already have.
- Acknowledge that YOU cannot control all of the circumstances that you encounter. Now, you will have an effect on them, because you are there. The effect you have will be determined by, you guessed it, your attitude. If you walk in with a great attitude, you have the ability to shine, no matter what the circumstance.
- Get mad, and then let it go. Holding on to anger and frustration will eat away at your bones. Anger and frustration will control you, and keep you from thinking clearly about anything else. People with a great attitude aren’t bitter. Be free!
- Be OK with failure. It’s going to happen, everyone fails. Take it, and learn from it. Don’t make the same mistake again.
- Be mindful of doing the small things with joy and excellence. If you are purposeful in the small things, and have joy doing them, then this same attitude will transcend into the great things. All great things are made up of great small things anyway.
- Help someone else. Don’t have an agenda when you do, just help out someone when you can. Try to. You’ll be amazed at how you feel when your done.
- Smile. Lots and often. The world has gotten grumpy, and a person with a smile stands out. Smile when you see people, and smile when you speak. Have a great attitude! Try it, you’ll like it!
Your attitude will affect everything you do and everyone you encounter. It is really the “big secret” for all success in life. You have this power within you right now. It’s up to you.
”If a man be gloomy let him keep to himself. No one has the right to go croaking about society, or what is worse, looking as if he stifled grief.”
— Benjamin Disraeli